Thursday, June 10, 2010

An evening on the rooftop


Every photo has a story behind it. This particular story, I enjoy recalling over and over, because it brings back a feeling I adore so much.

The roof of our house, back in Colombo, was a flat concrete surface. There was a stair case to access it as well, making it easier for anyone to climb up there. Back in those days, I had a habit of going up there in evenings and watching the sunset. Our house was two storied and located on bit of a higher ground. Since it was a residential area, there were not many taller structures around it either. That made it an ideal location to observe the heavens, day or night.

Watching the sunset from this rooftop became something that I wanted to do at the end of a long, tiresome day. But, not on every day was this possible. Being the wet zone of Sri Lanka, most days of the year it rained, or at least the sky was fully covered with thick layers of clouds. Nevertheless, on the days the weather was favorable, I made sure I did not miss the opportunity.

The picture above, itself would suggest what a pretty sight the setting sun creates in the sky. Especially, when there are few fluffs of cloud scattered over the evening sky. The orange, pink and crimson hues of the sun rays craft breathtaking patterns on the purple twilight sky. This picturesque spectacle, together with the cool evening breeze, has an amazing ability to calm the mind and relax the body. To add more spice to this sensation, the birds retiring to their nests after their day’s chores fly over you head, under the deep empty sky, making an assortment of music.

I lie on the roof, looking in to the skies, absorbing this splendor and drowning myself in nature. Then I release my mind; let it go free to wonder around the tiny glittering stars now appearing sporadically in the vast space above me. And I lie there, till the sun withdraws for the day, leaving for darkness to immerse the world around me.

Oh! How I wish, I could do it once again.

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

  1. එල වැඩක් අයියා. ඔයාගේ FB account තියෙනවාද අයියා. මේ ඔක්කොම දාපු Album එකක් වගේ තියෙනවාද FB එකේ ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks little brother. I just wrote an article also for this. You might have missed it because I posted it late. Keep visiting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great Sachira. It's a tragic that most of us dnt have much time to spend a second with the splendid nature. I do agree that the evening sky is a true healer, a superb psychiatric cz have once experienced it myself.

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete